Snow in South Korea!

Hubby kept wondering on why I so addicted to the ‘snow’ and being so ‘I-don’t-care-I-want-snow’ attitude each time we were talking about yearly getaways. To be frank, I have no good answer for it. It might be look nice in the big coat or in cute gloves or it because of the different temperature once in the year. ‘I-have-never-been’ and ‘never-experience-it’. I guess, this is the best reason for my hubby’s answer.

He doesn’t feel good when I wanted to go honeymoon in winter season. Apart of ‘can-hug-my-hubby’ romantic kind of mood, a lot of honeymoon activities can’t go as smooth as planned. He stayed in Manchester England for about 3 years, hence explains on why he is not excited enough on the snow and temperature changes.

I have been dreaming to step my foot in the snow and let the snowflakes touch my hair since I watched the first drama aired in the TV on Christmas. I was 10 on that time and how nice to watch the snow in every scenes. The dream has dragged me to Beijing on 2007 and so disappointed when I have nothing except the -8c temperatures and the artificial snow in the Ski Resort. By all means the dream still in my mind.

Either you believe it or not, we registered our name to Korea trip package, 5 days before our flights (something that not healthy to follow hehehe). We had planned to Hokkaido on the same week, but due to visa problem on the last minute *angry face* (I-don’t-want-to-remember mood), so we have not packed out our luggage and it explains on how we manage to jump on the cab to KLIA and my boss seems willingly to let me go from 27 Dec 2010 – 1 Jan 2011.

One day before out trip, the temperature in Seoul South Korea, drop drastically to -19’c, hence explained the unusually heavy snowfall and triggering traffic chaos and forcing airlines to delay all flights. We were supposed to arrive at Incheon airport by 0630 in the morning but it was closed by the time our flight just about to slowing down and landing. With just “we-can’t-landing-due-to-the-bad-weather’ and ‘oh-I’m-not-good-in-English’ kind of announcement, the flight finally landed at the Je-Ju Island, the other part of South Korea.

We use the Vietnam Airlines, in case if you are asking =).

We managed to enter Seoul only after 4hrs trapped in Jeju Island and IN THE FLIGHT!! Can you imagine? A Vietnam airline is much much far worse than Air Asia X. We can’t even straighten our leg and only being served half cup of orange juice for breakfast?? So mean!

Only when we reached the airport, we were told by the ‘weather’ that the heavy snowfalls have caused the closure of the airport. So, they need about 4hrs to clear off the track for landing. The snowflake fell to our windows seems welcoming us. I was worried before our trip if I’m not be able to catch the snowfalls. Just for your information, South Korea is occasionally has snowfalls, but it still far better than Beijing. If you are planning to Korea for snow, make sure to check the weather before your trip (opps, not easy to change the flight ticket right?) or u can stay at least more than a week. Better than sorry!

Apart of the chaos, I feel blessed to experience the snow. I seem have forgotten myself when playing, throwing and ‘guling-guling’ in the snow like a Hindi movie. Don’t ask me how many photos that I snapped, as when I reached KL, God knows how frustrated was I to have only 2 photos me and hubby together in one photo. *slap forehead*.

Tips of the day: don’t bring 2 cameras if you are husband-wife. Bring one and tripod as well.
 
I was trying hard to build a snowman. A lot of tips that I received from my friends and after so many attempts my snowman ends up still an ‘OKU’ hehehe. I surrendered! I remember scolded my hubby on why he has no skills to build one. He gave me that kind of ‘i-have-to-many-other-things-to-do-in-England-than-build-the-stupid-snowman’ looks. So not sporting! But he still together with me trying to built up the snowman. We called this as a ‘honeymoon-activity-that-we-should-have-during-winter’. Worth it.


one of the photo with both of us in one picture!

Halal food in Seoul are teribbly difficult, be ready for it if you are planning to Korea. Look at the menu and the way of cooking, i will give them full marks on how to be healthy. Most of their receipes should have vegitables and some sort of ’herb’ flavor to replace the ’Ajinomoto’ job. No wonder, all the ladies in Korea has such a nice glowing and young skin. But i’ll think thousand times to go for the meal again... not so me.

Be sure to watch again ’Winter Sonata’ or ’Dae Jang Geum’ series to raise up your interest to Seoul. Nami Island is where the background place for Winter Sonata scenes and Je-Ju Island is the location scenes for Dae Jang Geum series. But if you are Korean Singer big-big fan e.g. Wonder Girls, se7en, Super Junior (just pick some of them... my nieces are really addicted to them, all of them!), why don’t take a break and leave for Korea… it’s worth it!

Some tips during Winter: dress in layers. Get yourself some thermal wear, sweaters and winter jackets. Scarf, gloves and something to cover your ears are also essential. Koreans are very stylish, thus u might also want to consider to bring some stylish outfits. In Winter, the air is very dry. Drink plenty of water. Get a bottle of Johnson & Johnson Baby Oil for your body and Miracle Water (SKII Treatment Essence) for your face and trust me it was worked for me well.

Even a short break, but I had visited the most attraction places e.g.: Nami Island, Everland Theme Park, Safari World, Ski Resort, National Museum, Kyongbok Palace & Namdaemum market.

But after all, the snow really transforms Seoul into a winter wonderland with full of white trees, icy road, frosty wind, and I miss KOREA so much!

No comments: